Sunday, April 17, 2011

Stream of consciousness

I had the best conversation with a kid on the subway last Friday. He was about 4 or 5, and I met him with his dad while waiting for my train to go home. I love how kids' thoughts just gush out, no censoring or retooling.

Kid: Hi! (he said 'Hi' to several people before I finally responded.)
Me: Hi buddy!
Kid: What's your name?
Me: My name is Adriane. What's yours?
Kid: My name is Oli. Are you coming on my train?
Me: Sure, I'll come on your train.

The train arrived. We both got on.

Kid: Are you coming to my stop?
Me: Which stop is that?
Kid: St... George.
Me: No, I'm not coming to your stop. My stop is St. Clair. It's 3 after yours.
Kid: Oh. Are you coming to my home?
Me: No, not today.
Kid: Oh. How about tomorrow?
Me: Maybe tomorrow.
Kid: We can have a picnic!
Me: Oh yeah? What will we have at the picnic? Will there be sandwiches?
Kid: Yeah, sandwiches!
Me: What else?
Kid: Peanuts.
Me: Anything else?
Kid: Peanut sauce.
Me: How about orange juice?
Kid: Yeah, orange juice!
Me: OK, maybe tomorrow then.
Kid: Yeah, we'll have a picnic!

They arrived at their stop. I wonder if his dad gave him a stern lecture later about not inviting strangers to their home for picnics.

3 comments:

  1. too sweet. I love it when kids are social and cute like that - hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - you agreed to sandwiches?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My baby has been all about the sandwiches. Weird.

    ReplyDelete