Thursday, February 2, 2012

Wall art from a collection

This was such a simple project, but I've gotten so many compliments on it that I thought I'd post it.


We all have a collection of something. No matter when or how it started, it probably means more and more to you as it grows.

For several years, I've had a collection of programs from musicals, plays, and operas that I've seen. This collection has been living in a shoe box for several years.



(Sorry, I didn't take pictures of the process, but I'm sure you can imagine how I did this just by looking.)

Anyway, now that I have lots of empty walls to fill, I thought I'd do something with these. The programs were all the same format, slightly larger than 5x7. So, I picked 18 of my favourite, and cropped the covers to 5x7.

I arranged them in 3 rows of 6 pictures = 3x7in down and 6x5in across (or 21x30 in total in case you forgot your multiplication tables :) ) I taped these together at the back.

Then, I found a 24x36in poster frame from Michael's that was slightly bigger. It even came with a backing poster that had black borders, so I cheated and used that as a makeshift mat. I stuck the whole thing in the centre of the mat and popped it into the poster frame.

What I love about it is that it's a conversation starter. When people come over, they ask about such-and-such show that they see pictured in the frame, and that often starts a conversation about theatre, which I obviously love.

There you have it! If you have a collection that's sitting in a shoebox, go dig it up and show it off!

No comments:

Post a Comment