Friday, October 14, 2011

Hard wired

You know how most newborns are swollen, wrinkled, and generally kinda funny looking?

Before Darian was born, I had told Victor, "When he's born, I'm going to have a rush of hormones telling me that he's the most beautiful thing in the world, but please feel free to tell me if our baby is funny looking. I want to know the truth."

Well, he was born and we both thought he was the most beautiful and adorable thing, ever. Of course.

Anyway, this morning, I was looking through some pictures and videos from the early days. And it turns out, he was a little funny looking. I mean, he was cute like all babies are cute, but really... his face was kinda wrinkly and not quite filled out, his features kinda misproportioned, and he looked super grumpy all the time.

And I found this video. It's not so notable... except that about halfway through, I say: "Why are you in such a good mood?"


We watched it and said, "... THAT'S a 'good mood'??" How were we so incredibly deluded?

Darian smiles and giggles regularly now and my heart overflows with joy to see him every day. I guess back then, 'not crying' signified a 'good' mood.

It's amazing how we are wired to get through the dark times... and then forget them.

No comments:

Post a Comment