Thursday, November 11, 2010

Baked: Cocoa Cookies

I found these cocoa cookies one evening when I had an urge for cookies, but found myself low on baking ingredients. I didn't love them at first because they seemed like a poor man's drier, less sweet, and Nutella-less version of the Chocolate Hazelnut Thumbprint Cookies I had made before, but they've since really grown on me. (I would have made the thumbprint cookies but I didn't have icing sugar or enough eggs.) They have a nice light cocoa flavour, but a satisfyingly heavy texture. They go great with a cup of tea or coffee.
I admit: I thumbprinted in them in case they needed the Nutella
From The Boston Globe

Ingredients
  • 3 cups flour
  • 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar (I used brown sugar)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • Extra sugar (for sprinkling)
Directions
  1. Set the oven at 400 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In a bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, and salt; set aside.
  3. In an electric mixer, cream the butter. Add the sugar gradually, beating until smooth. Add the vanilla and eggs, one by one, beating until thoroughly blended.
  4. With the mixer set on low speed, beat in the flour mixture. You'll have to finish mixing with your hands; the batter is quite stiff.
  5. Spoon rounded tablespoons of batter into your palms and roll into 1-inch balls. Set on the baking sheets about 1 inch apart. Press down with the tines of a fork, once in each direction, to create a crisscross pattern. Continue until all the cookies are shaped and marked.
  6. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the bottoms are slightly brown. While they are hot, sprinkle the tops with extra sugar. Cool for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment